7 Questions to Ask Before Hiring a Real Estate Agent
If you are planning on moving to Memphis and are looking to hire a real estate agent, make sure that you choose wisely.
In order to make sure that you are choosing the best possible agent for you and your family, All My Sons of Memphis has compiled a list of the top seven questions that you should ask potential real estate agents.
1. How long have you and your agency been in business? Real estate is a profession largely honed by on the job training. Just because someone is new in the business doesn’t make them unqualified, but you need to see sufficient intern experience or at least part time work to get a feel for how knowledgeable your future realtor is.
2. Are you a member of a real estate agent association, such as the National Associations of Realtors? Similar to a BBB, this association has standards that individuals must demonstrate and abide by to be members.
3. Do you have access to MLS? The Multiple Listing Service gives agents access to all homes that are listed on the market, not just ones through their own agency. For sellers, this means that there will be more of a platform to showcase your house, and for buyers this means more to choose from.
4. What is your availability? Are they someone who drops what they are doing to meet you at a closing? Work on the weekends? Knowing how committed your realtor is to your home search can be deciphered through their availability—learn this beforehand!
5. Can you inform me on the entire home buying process? Knowing “what steps come when” is a great way to outline the relationship you will have over the next few months. This will also prevent any surprises and lessen the likelihood of last minute hang ups.
6. How many home sales have you made in your career so far? Selling homes requires skill and charm, and in a troubled market it’s interesting to see how some realtors fare opposed to others. Do they have the edge you need to land the home of your dreams?
7. How to they operate? Weekly check-ins? Daily emails? Calls or texts? Learn their communication style and realistically compare it to yours. If you’re bad about checking emails, you want someone who will pick up the phone with breaking news.
All My Sons Moving & Storage of Memphis has been helping families move for over 20 years! We want you to make the most of your moving experience by helping you make the best decisions when it comes to moving.