361-371-3200

 
Rating 4.1

Safety Tips from a Home Inspector

Our homes don’t often come with manuals the way new cars do, so sometimes when we suspect something is wrong we don’t know what to do or how to fix it without calling a professional. Here at the Corpus Christi movers, we want to help you gain the confidence to know what is wrong at home and how to fix it.

Cracked caulking. Caulk is intended to seal, so if there are cracks in it, the caulking is not doing its job properly. Loose caulk can lead to mold problems, leaks, and water damage. If you have loose caulk, remove the tile with a putty knife and scrape down the old caulk with a bathroom cleaner. Aply new caulk using a tube or caulk gun, smooth with your finger, and let dry with the tile in place for 24 hours before using the shower.

Gutter buildup. Your gutters are a prime place for leaves and water to collect, so you need to seasonally inspect them and clean out leaves and debris. Buildup of water can cause a variety of problems, from leaks to basement flooding to much more. Your downspouts should extend six feet along the ground from your house.

Dryer lint buildup. Leftover dryer lint is a serious fire hazard! Empty the lint tray after every cycle and have your dryer’s exhaust pipe cleaned one a year by an HVAC professional. The duct’s vent line should also be cleaned once a year.

Bathrooms need ventilation. Your bathroom fills with moisture every time you take a shower, and without properly ventilating you can end up with a widespread mold problem. Hire a professional to install one into the ceiling if your bathroom is lacking.

Furnace filter debris. These filters collect dust and dirt, and they need to be cleaned once every month all year long. If you have a reusable filter, rinse it and put it back in, and if you don’t, pick up a new cardboard one each month to swap out.

Unsafe electrical outlets. An outlet within six feet of a water source (bathroom, kitchen) needs to ne a ground fault circuit interrupter, so that it will cut off power immediately if it gets wet, preventing an electrical fire or electrocution. Have an electrician come out and check all of the outlets and replace any that are not up to code.