865-675-2159

 
Rating 4.2

Protect Yourself from a Kitchen Fire

Many of us cook in the kitchen each night not fully aware of the potential dangers that lie in close proximity. Whether you are a tenant or a homeowner, there are some steps that you should take to prevent kitchen fires and ensure that you and your loved ones stay safe. Though kitchens aren’t the only area of the house that are prone to danger, it’s what we are going to cover in this informative post. Fires can occur in the laundry room, thanks to the dryer, and also in other areas where there is faulty electrical wiring. Here are some of our tips for staying safe in your kitchen and protecting your family as well as your Knoxville home:

1. Never leave a hot stove unattended. If you must leave turn off the stove.

2. Put a lid on grease fires. Never use water to try and put the fire out.

3. For deep frying it is recommended to use a deep fryer with temperature control instead of heating oil on the stove.

4. If a fire starts in the oven, turn off the heat and keep the door closed. Be sure to have the oven serviced before using again.

5. Teach children not to play around the stove. Establish a three foot "No Child Zone."

6. Never try and carry a burning pan out doors or to the sink. This often results in spilling the liquid. This will cause burns and will spread the fire.

7. Do not wear loose fitting clothing while cooking. Clothing can catch fire just by simply brushing up against a hot pan.

8. Remember, "Stop, Drop and Roll" is not just for kids. If your cloths catch fire do the drill.

9. Keep handles from pans on the stove turned in so they won't get knocked off and small children can't reach them.

10. When removing hot pans from the stove use mitts or a hot pad.

Microwaves:

1. If fire starts unplug if possible and don't open the door.

2. Stay in kitchen when cooking.

3. Never use aluminum foil or anything metal.

4. Allow food to cool at least two minutes after removing it from the oven.

5. Open food away from face to prevent steam burns.