How to Find the Perfect Roommate after Moving to Birmingham
Moving to a new home in a new city can be stressful enough, so the last thing you want to do is become even more overwhelmed with the process of finding the right roommate. If you are preparing for a move to Birmingham or have already moved into your new house and are on the hunt for the ideal roommate to move in with you, All My Sons Moving & Storage of Birmingham has advice on the steps you should take before handing over your keys.
1. Utilize social media – Through Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram you can post your message about the need for a roommate after moving to Birmingham, for all of your friends and family to see. This will increase your chances of finding a roommate that you know or one of your friends or family members is familiar with.
2. Discuss cleanliness – It may sound odd to ask a potential roommate how often they currently clean their apartment, but Birmingham movers think it’s important to be on the same page when it comes to cleanliness. Discussing cleaning habits upfront will help avoid frustrations for all parties involved later on.
3. Talk about rent payment – Be sure to ask your potential housemate questions that will tell you if they are reliable enough to pay the rent in full and on time every month. Our local Birmingham movers suggest asking a prospective roommate what they do for a living and if they have references from past living situations.
4. Go over any likes and dislikes – There may be something about your new roommate that could make or break a living situation. Before allowing someone to move into your new Birmingham home, find out:
- Do they smoke and/or drink regularly?
- What is their work schedule like?
- What temperature do they like to keep the thermostat at?
- Are they willing to pitch in when it comes to chores?
- Are they social or like to keep to themselves when at home?
- How do they feel about sharing things, such as dishes, pots and pans?
- Do they like to listen to the TV and/or radio loudly?
- How much TV do they watch and what kind of programs are they interested in?
- Are they allergic to anything, such certain foods or laundry detergent?
- Do they believe in keeping doors and windows locked at all times?
6. Perform a background check – Don’t feel guilty or intrusive about checking out a potential housemate’s Facebook profile or Instagram pictures. This step will likely give you insight into the type of person your future roommate is and if your lifestyle will be in tune with one another after moving to Birmingham.