Rating 4.6

How to Rent with an Emotional Support Animal

Emotional support animals (ESA) are different from service animals, though many people get them confused. Most apartment complexes are becoming more pet friendly, but there are still some who have a no pet policy. Finding a pet friendly residence is not always easy. Sometimes you come across lots of places that have a no pet policy. If you happen to have an emotional support animal, this is especially challenging. Learn how to go about renting with an emotional support animal with tips from our South Raleigh movers.

How to Get Around A No Pet Policy

Living with pets is a great joy and source of companionship for most people. Unfortunately, there is no rule or law that says landlords must allow pets in the residence when choosing to rent. There is also no law or policy that says landlords must allow an emotional support animal. For people who rely on their pets for therapeutic reasons, this can be incredibly frustrating. Our South Raleigh local movers want to help by sharing ways to rent while having an Emotional Support Animal.

Get a Letter from a Psychologist or Psychiatrist
If you plan to move with an emotional support animal you should look into getting an official letter from a psychologist or psychiatrist you see regularly. The doctor can prescribe you with an emotional support animal and you can provide this documentation to your landlord or the rental property. The letter must be from a licensed mental health provider and have qualifying information such as the doctor’s name, practice, and license number.

Get a Letter From a Lawyer
Though there is no legal requirement for a landlord to agree to having pets in their unit, a letter from a lawyer can help with your case that your animal is an emotional support animal and provides you with a therapeutic benefit.

Contact the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (USDHUD)
Under the guidelines of the Fair Housing Act (FHA), if for some reason a person feels as though they are not being afforded fair housing, they are able to file a complaint with the US Department of Housing and Urban Development. It isn't for certain that launching a complaint will have any affect on your situation, but it is a place to start. It is important to note that there are some instances where the FHA favors the landlord over the tenant in terms of needing to allow emotional support animals.

Though emotional support animals can make a great difference in many people’s lives, our South Raleigh residential movers want to point out that it is important to remember that there currently are no laws or rules that mandate landlords to accept them. When trying to find a place to live with an emotional support animal, it is important you do all the research you can before signing a lease.

When you have found the perfect home for you and your emotional support animal, contact All My Sons Moving & Storage. We will help you move to your new home and settle in!