Rating 4.7

People to Notify of Your Move

Who to Notify When You Move – Tips from Our Nashville Full-Service Movers

You’re planning a move. You’ve hired your professional Nashville full-service movers. Now, your moving date is approaching. Since your All My Sons Nashville movers will take care of all your packing and moving needs. What else do you have to do?

One important thing is to keep some people and organizations in the loop. You’ll have inform some companies and individuals about your moving plans and change of address. Here is a simple list of who to notify when you move.


Postal Services

Officially changing your address should be one of the first things you do once you decide on your moving plans. Go to your local postal office or the USPS official website and fill out a change of address request. Once your address gets changed, your mail will get forwarded to your new home.



Inform your utility service providers about your moving plans to prevent any service lapses or past-due bills. Arrange for your old home’s utilities to be cut off on your moving day. If your new home is in the same state or uses the same utility service providers, arrange for your utilities to be connected to your new home by the time you arrive there.

Utilities you need to inform include:
Waste Collection


Current Employer

Don’t waste time before notifying your current employer of your relocation plans. It is recommended to give your employer sufficient time to find a new person to fill in your position. You may even be requested to stay for a while to assist in the new hire’s training. At the end of the year, they’ll be able to send you necessary tax documents and insurance information if you provide them your new address.



If you are planning a long-distance move to another state, you’ll have to transfer your driver’s license to your new state. You’ll also have to update your vehicle’s registration and insurance within 10-30 days, depending on which state you are moving to. Visit your local DMV office as early as possible and notify them of your change of address.


The IRS & Government Agencies

If you are moving out of state, you’ll have to inform several government agencies. Update your address with your local Social Security Administration office, electoral register, and other institutions that need your new address. One of those intuitions being the Internal Revenue Service. Fill out and mail in the IRS Change of Address form so that they can mail your tax return, fiscal notes, and other paperwork.  


Financial Institutions & Insurance Companies

Update your address with the following organizations:
Credit Card Companies
Health Insurance
Life Insurance
Homeowner’s Insurance



You’ll have to notify any subscription services you’ve sign up to about your move. Avoid having your magazines and newspapers get delivered to the wrong address, update the address your subscription services have on file to the address of your new home.