Items You Don't Want to Pack for Your Move
When it comes to moving, not all items in your home should be packed and shipped in the exact same manner. Particularly when it comes to dangerous or sharp items, those anticipating moving to Memphis should take precaution when packing to avoid an accident. Memphis movers have compiled a list of goods that should be handled with care when packing, or even discarded before they are loaded onto a moving truck and shipped to their new location.
- Explosives or flammable material – Items such as gas, acid, paint, batteries pesticides, oils, matches and lighters are extremely dangerous to ship, no matter how well they are packed or how far they are moving. Memphis movers encourage those with a surplus of dangerous or toxic household materials to first ask their neighbors if they would like any of it. If you still have explosive or flammable items left over, call your local recycling company and ask them for the best way to dispose of the dangerous materials. It is important to properly dispose of dangerous or toxic materials before you move, because unsupervised chemicals could get into the wrong hands and hurt someone or harm the planet.
- Food and Beverages – Depending on how far you are moving to settle into your new Memphis home, will decipher whether or not you should pack perishable food. If you are moving long distance, you should discard all food and beverages due to the possibility of spoiling. The last thing you want after moving is to open a box filled with rotten food. If you have a short move to Memphis, appropriately pack perishable items right before you leave your old home and unpack them as soon as you’ve arrived at your new home.
- Important Documents – Consider the importance of each document you pack as you package it. Is that item irreplaceable? Do you use it often or can’t live with it? If the answer is yes, make a copy of the document and pack it in a different box than the original. You may even consider carrying these documents with you personally to keep a better eye on them during your move to Memphis. Important documents may include: checkbooks, birth certificates, social security cards, letters or records.
- Sentimental Items – If you have items such as jewelry or photographs that hold sentimental value, make sure you take special care of how you pack them before moving to Memphis. Take the time to wrap each of these belongings in the appropriate packaging material so items are less likely to bend or break.
- Medicine – Unused or expired prescription or over-the-counter drugs should be properly discarded before you move by following the city’s guidelines on medicine disposal. Any medicine you or a family member currently takes should be properly labeled and packed with personal belongings that are going to travel with you throughout the duration of your move to Memphis.