8 Things You Should Do First After Moving Into Your New Home
You are finally on your way to your new home with kids, dog, and boxes filled with memories in tow. You are probably thinking about everything that needs to get done once you arrive and where you are going to tell your local Knoxville movers to place certain pieces of furniture. To help you organize your thoughts and get the ball rolling in the right direction, All My Sons Moving & Storage of Knoxville has put together a list of eight things that you should do first after moving into your new home.
1. Change the locks – At this point, who really knows how many people have a key to your new home? To secure your house after moving to Knoxville, plan on changing the locks on all exterior doors. You can either call a locksmith or head to your local home improvement store and buy new locks for as little as $10 each.
2. Check your plumbing – Although your home inspector has done this previously, All My Sons Knoxville movers suggest double-checking your plumbing. Be on the lookout for any leaks or loose pipes and if you notice anything that needs maintenance, call a professional right away.
3. Steam clean carpeting – This should really be done before you move to Knoxville and into your new home. Steam cleaning your carpets will help remove any dirt, stains and pet dander that was left behind by the previous owners.
4. Call an exterminator – If you haven’t already, check your new home for any signs of bugs or rodents that may be residing there and call an exterminator. If you do have a roach or mice problem, your exterminator will be able to take care of it for you. If you don’t have a pest problem, your exterminator will at least be able to take preventative measures to protect your home.
5. Deep clean – Take advantage of your empty home and give it a thorough cleaning before your professional Knoxville moving company moves your belongings in. Think about all those hard-to-reach places, like baseboards and windows and give them a good wipe-down. Run your empty dishwasher and washing machine through a cycle with detergent and wipe out all shelving in your kitchen and bedrooms.
6. Prioritize your unpacking – After moving to Knoxville and into your new home, find moving boxes that contain essentials for your family. Think about things you’ll be needing for the next few days, like toothbrushes and linens, and unpack those boxes first.
7. Make your beds – Before exhaustion sets in, make up enough beds that will accommodate everyone spending the night. You’ll be happy you did when you are able to easily slip into an already made bed after a day full of unpacking and cleaning.
8. Install window treatments – Protect your family’s privacy and put up window treatments after moving to Knoxville. You don’t want everyone passing by to be able to see into your home and see your family and all of your belongings, especially after dark.